Smoked Venison and Strawberry Salad Serves 6
Smoked Scottish venison is a true flavour of the wild Highland moors, and is readily available from quality delicatessens. The sweet and sour berries are the perfect tangy contrast to the deep, smoky venison.(You can use blackberries or halved stoned cherries as an alternative to strawberries depending on what’s in season and good at the time).
- 16 Ripe first of Season Scottish Strawberries
- 1⁄2 tsp Caster Sugar
- 5ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 Thin Slices of Smoked Scottish Venison
- 20g Wild Rocket Leaves
- 1 Ripe Avocado cut into 1 cm dice
- 10ml Olive Oil
- Splash of Strawberry Wine – Cairn O’Mhor
- Freshly Milled Black Pepper
- Good Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Slice the strawberries into 4 lengthways.
- Place the strawberries into a bowl with the caster sugar and 10mlbalsamic vinegar, gently mix and leave covered for 30 minutes
- Make the dressing by whisking olive oil, strawberry wine and 5 mlbalsamic vinegar together in a bowl and season with salt andground black pepper.
- Assemble your salad; start with the rocket, add avocado, sprinkleover the strawberries and venison slices. Season with a little salt and black pepper and serve immediately.